Blue Hat Diaries: Maui



What Is This?

In the summer of 2015, I was out on a mission: Find a wide brimmed sunhat that I love. I soon found out that this was going to be a harder task than I'd initially thought. Either they were too floppy or had to small of a brim and if not that then the colour was just completely unappealing. Finally, in a cute little shop in Delaware, I found one I loved. I wore it the whole trip and I haven't failed to take it with me on a tropical vacation since.

I figured, since it's constantly with me on my tropical getaways, and often shows up in my pictures, it would be a fitting name for this blog series.

So with that being said, here's the first of the blue hat diaries: Maui.




It was so good to see palm trees! There's nothing that can instantly instill a feeling of inner peace like watching palm trees gently swaying in the breeze. The sunsets were just as beautiful as everyone made them out to be. After the beautiful yellows and oranges faded, the sky would take on a pink and purple haze that was so calming. I could sit under skies like this forever. Unfortunately, the sunrise was mostly hidden by mountains, however I definitely got my sunrise fix-more on that soon.

I had the biggest freak out at the airport when I realized I had forgotten my make-up bag! I was set for a trip without an eyebrow pencil, moisturizer, concealer or any lip products. Thankfully, on the second day in my journey to the little shopping village that was about a fifteen minute walk along the path from my hotel, I found a Sephora! So that turned out okay after all.

I stayed at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach in Lahaina. There are quite a few hotels along that stretch. The Sheraton is one of those hotels and happens to be right by an area called Black Rock where the snorkeling was really good. In Maui I tried paddle boarding for the first time, really early in the morning and it was so relaxing. I kept my balance much better than I thought I would.









One of the most recommended things to do on Maui is The Road To Hana. There are too many stops to do them all in a day and I took too many beautiful pictures to fit them all in one post. But these are some of the highlights.

There are a number of waterfalls on The Road To Hana. Some you can see right from your car window, and if it's safe, you can pull over and take a few snaps. It's the most beautiful sound to hear as you navigate the curvy uphill drive. Other waterfalls can be seen when you enter some of the botanical gardens or parks along the way. The waterfall above was a sight from The Garden of Eden. There are five hundred labeled plants in the garden as well as a few peacocks and a lei wearing dog.

The last two pictures are from Wai'anapanapa State Park, which has a beautiful black sand beach and gorgeous turquoise water. It was starting to get late at this point so I didn't stop to swim but I was very content to relax for a few moments and take pictures.

I'll likely do a separate blog post on Hana, as this doesn't even cover half of that day trip. So look out for that!




These shots are from Haleakala, a volcanic crater. It's a quick little hike from where you park to the
top of the crater, where you're ten thousand feet above sea level. You're also above the clouds! If you go really early like I did then you can watch the sunrise above the clouds-which is absolutely the most breathtaking sight I've ever seen. I can't even put into words how absolutely amazing it was.

Note: Now you have to make a reservation ahead of time with the state park to watch the sunrise, to control the amounts of visitors at this time.

Maui is a beautiful island and a week there was not enough! But, it wasn't the end of my vacation, the lush and beautiful Kauai was beckoning. Look out for that post soon!

xx
Tiana






Comments

Popular Posts